June Fest Poetry Competition
Open Prizes: 1st (€300), 2nd (€200) & 3rd (€100) as vouchers for local businesses sponsored by Glenveagh Homes.
Special prizes for under 18s – €100, €50 & €30 – 1st Prize sponsored by Farrell & Nephew
June Fest and Farrell & Nephew bookstore (Newbridge) are partnering this summer to host the ‘June Fest Poetry Competition’.
Poets (young & not so young) are invited to submit original poems.
Following shortlisting, the prize-winning poems will be judged by the internationally renowned poet and broadcaster, Theo Dorgan.
While poems may be on any topic, this may be an opportunity to poetically reflect on the impact of Covid.
Arrangements for the competition are as follows:
- Poems, in any poetic form, up to 40 lines in length, to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org (in MS WORD or pdf format) by 5.00 pm on 30 June. 2021. Please include: full name, residential address and mobile number but none of this information will be published without your permission. NO SUBMISSION FEE
- 1st prize (€300), 2nd prize (€200) & 3rd prize (€100) & special prizes for entries from under 18s – €100, €50 & €30. All prizes as vouchers for local businesses.
- 10 best poems published on June Fest’s Website and social media platforms. Prize-winning authors will be invited to read their poems for broadcasting on June Fest’s Website and social media platforms.
- The 3 main prize winners will have their poems published in the Leinster Leader.
- The winning entries will be selected by Theo Dorgan.
- Entries must be original unpublished work, but self-published work is eligible. They may not have been published in a recognised format with editorial input. Also, entrants may only submit work to which they have the full authorial rights.
- Entrants must be resident on the island of Ireland. Only two poems per entrant. No submission fee.
Further details on the event are available from June Fest Secretary, Pat O’Mahony, on 087 2304539.